Prostate is the walnut shaped gland, helps in making semen, the fluid that contains
It sits low in the pelvis, just below the urinary bladder, urethra passes through the prostate. A young man's prostate is about the size of a walnut. It slowly grows larger with age. If it gets too large, it can cause problems. This is very common after age 50. The older men get, the more likely they are to have prostate trouble.
- Prostatitis - an infection, usually caused by bacteria
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH - an enlarged prostate, which may cause dribbling after urination or a need to go often, especially at night
- Prostate cancer - a common cancer that responds best to treatment when detected early
- Straining to pass urine.
- Poor stream of urine.
- Unsatisfactory urination sessation as some amount urine is still left in bladder.
- Increased frequency of urine specially at night.
- Hesitency in passing urine.
- In extreme enalrgment of prostate there might be blood in urine, Acute retention of urine.
- IPSS (International Prostate symptom Score) Symptom.
- DRE (digital rectal exam)--a test to feel the prostate
- PSA (prostate-specific antigen) test--a blood test
- Sonography of prostate for size and post void reside
Treatment available for BPH
Holmium Laser Enucleation of Prostate
Holmium Laser Treatment
A minimally-invasive alternative to transuretheral resection of the prostate (TURP), holmium laser treatment uses laser energy to relieve enlarged prostate symptoms and is designed to reduce traditional complications associated with TURPs. With holmium laser treatment, patients experience minimal pain after the operation and spend less time in the hospital than with TURP. They are also able to resume normal activities within a week. It can be performed on patients taking anticoagulant medications.holmium laser treatment provides immediate symptom relief and improves quality of life with little risk of complications
Holmium laser treatment uses a thin flexible fiber to transmit the laser energy to the prostate with a very high degree of precision.
Your doctor controls the direction and delivery of laser energy by moving the fiber back and forth in a sweeping or 'painting' motion. The laser energy instantly vaporizes the obstructing tissue. The laser also seals the area, resulting in little if any bleeding during and after the procedure.
The procedure may be completed in an hour or less, depending upon the size of your prostate.
- Safe and effective procedure
- Immediate relief of symptoms
- Virtually bloodless
- Little risk of bleeding or transfusion
- Limited or no catheterization required
- Less complications than standard TURP procedure
- Long lasting results
- Shown durable for over 7 years
- Can be performed while on anticoagulant medication.
- Can eliminate need for drugs that were taken to relieve BPH symptoms